The History of Bridger Canyon

As compiled by George Havens in 2006

1804 - 1881

Jim Bridger "Old Gabe" was without equal as mountain man, guide, trapper, scout, frontiersman, trader.

1840

Last rendezvous of the mountain men. Bridger took his 3rd Indian wife, a Shoshone.

1856

Kit Carson and Jim Bridger visit Bridger Canyon hunting for beaver.

July 1864

Jim Bridger took first wagon train along Bridger Cut-off Trail through our canyon.

1864

Bridger led second train through canyon. Bridger Cut-off Trail not used after 1864. As US Army scout: Jim Bridger was paid $5 a day, Jim Bridger never got lost, Indians never surprised him, he was never wrong about the way to go.

1867-1887

Fort Ellis in operation: 13th US Infantry, 2nd Regiment, US Cavalry.

1867

Fort Ellis in operation: 13th US Infantry, 2nd Regiment, US Cavalry.

1867

Soldiers from Ft. Ellis built a sawmill and road 16 miles up Bridger Canyon.

Before 1870

Canyon undisturbed except for Indian raiding parties on their escape route from hunting in Gallatin Valley.

1870's & 1880's

German immigrants arrived in canyon, including the Papke family.

1870's

Bangtail Ridge named by Robert Stevens who 'banged' or squared his horses' tails.

1885

David Christie moved here from Minnesota.

1878

Horse-stealing Indians fight with cowboys at Battle Ridge. One man shot. 

1886

Upper Bridger School - log cabin on Jackson Creek Road.

1893

US Govt bought Davies Spring on Bridger Creek for fish hatchery.

1896

Lower Bridger School built at Kelly Canyon and Bridger Canyon Roads. Classes met only 4 months per year.

1900

Upper Bridger School - frame building.

1906

White frame church built on Jackson Creek Road. Services were held on Sunday afternoon.

1909

Telephone service initiated.

1910

US Mail Service launched.

1912

Community held its first annual Bridger Canyon Picnic.

October 1915

The famous "M" at the end of the Bridger Range was created.

1924

Happy Day Club becomes Bridger Canyon Women's Club.

January 10, 1938

Northwest plane crashed near Flaming Arrow Ranch. Ten people died. First in MT history.

August 25, 1938

A rockslide covered Standard Construction Company equipment.  The incident occurred in Bridger Canyon, just beyond the Fish Hatchery. At that time, Standard Construction Company was operated by Roy Malsor.

May 1948

Rankin & Widmer flew over the Bridgers and found the site for Bridger Bowl.

1949

Electrical service was extended up the canyon to Sedan. Brackett Creek was named for Col. Brackett, commander at Fort Ellis.

1954

Formation of group to develop the Bridger Bowl Ski Area. Tow tickets at Bridger Bowl Ski Area were $2 a day. Tow was 2600-ft rope.

1971

Zoning resolution for Bridger Canyon adopted by County Planning & Zoning Board.

September 1976

Landmark Maiden Rock at south end of canyon was blasted down by road crews.

1978-1980

Volunteer fire department started. 1st Chief: George Ripley, 2nd Chief: Arnie Jacobs

1985

Jane Newhall sells 800-acre ranch to Ken Lundberg for Tepee Ridge homes.

2000

Bridger Canyon enters new millennium as Montana's "first best place" to live.

2001

Bridger Canyon fire threatens homes, burns hundreds of acres, requires 15 fire companies, hotshot crews, helicopters.